All fees are paid by our clients. Our services are free to applicants.
Sr. Medical Writer/Oncology
An innovative, full service medical education agency.
Research specialized areas of medical science in order to write, edit, and proofread scientific communications (primarily for physicians and nurse audiences). This position will work with internal & external members of multiple project teams to produce a range of printed and electronic materials that satisfy the needs of our clients. Duties and responsibilities to be completed in a timely manner and within departmental/company standard operating procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and Information Management
- Research and source appropriate medical literature for company’s editorial projects and proposals utilizing various information sources such as journal subscriptions, academic libraries, and literature search databases (eg, PubMed)
- Update and maintain reference library and filing systems
- General Writing
- Take briefs from Editorial Director and other colleagues
- Assist with concept development for editorial projects
- Write and edit manuscripts, slide kits, monographs, newsletters, meeting reports, posters, and other materials that utilize assimilated knowledge of specialized therapeutic areas
- Devise questions and interview physician thought leaders
- Incorporate feedback from internal colleagues, clients, faculty, and journal reviewers
- Proofread all editorial work to comply with in-house, client, and/or AMA style guides
- Seek opportunities to develop skills in research, writing, and information technology
- Project Management
- Ensure assigned tasks are completed on time and within budget
- Provide advance notice when timelines are likely to be compromised
- Regular communication with internal project teams and clients
- Play an active role in building and maintaining client confidence and trust
- Business Development
- Provide guidance to account teams on scope of projects for the purpose of writing estimates
- Assist in the creative development and writing of new business pitches and proposals
- Attend and present at client meetings
- Seize opportunities for organic growth of business and advise colleagues of potential opportunities for new business
- Meeting Attendance
- Attend medical conferences, scientific symposia, and advisory boards
- Assist with on-site activities (eg, slide review with clients and faculty, set up & logistics)
- Take comprehensive notes during general sessions and breakouts
- Collect any other relevant information (eg, competitor materials at exhibition stands)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in life sciences from four-year college; combined with a Master’s degree, PhD, PharmD, RN, or MD. PharmD with residency and publication/writing experience or experience in medical pharmaceutical field strongly preferred. Minimum 4 years relevant medical information, communications, or marketing experience required, or an appropriate combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of general office equipment (telephone, fax, computer, copier, printer, scanner, etc.) Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office including Publisher, PowerPoint, email, proprietary database software, contract management, internet software and proficiency with bibliography software (e.g., EndNote, Reference Manager).
Individual should have proficiency using medical/scientific publication databases/resources; basic understanding of scientific methodology with ability to understand clinical development including the phases, processes and techniques used within a clinical development environment from protocol design through regulatory submission.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.